For first-timers, a game of paintball can be intimidating. Without the knowledge of what to wear when playing paintball, you might show up underdressed. Don’t make the mistake of showing up in gym shorts and a t-shirt. Without the proper attire, paintball can leave you welted, or worse injured. So if you’re thinking about stepping out onto a paintball field anytime soon this guide will give you a good idea of what you need to wear for a game of paintball.
You can break down what to wear for paintball into two categories. The first is the “need” category. The second being the “want” category. The need category is full of the essentials, the must-haves. If you show up to your local field without them you’re in for a bad time. So let’s start with what you need to wear when playing paintball.
Long Sleeve Shirts: This may not be the most ideal clothing on hot summer days but the less skin you have exposed the better. Not only will it protect the skin from direct paintball impacts, but it will also protect players from sunburn if playing outside. Don’t be afraid to layer up if the weather is right. The thicker the buffer between your skin and a paintball the better.
Baggy Pants: Wearing pants will have several advantages over shorts. For one, if you’re sliding on AstroTurf, grass or dirt, your knees will thank you. Second, baggy pants create that buffer between your skin and a paintball going 300 feet per second.
Paintball Mask: This item isn’t even an option. You must wear this in order to play paintball. Every commercial paintball field requires participants to wear a mask. They not only protect you from taking a paintball to the eye, but they protect your face from nasty welts. Some even offer protection for the back of your head and neck.
Beanie/ Hat: This item blurs the line between want and need. Beanies and hats can offer added protection to the top or back of your head that a paintball mask may not provide.
Footwear: When you’re deciding what you’re going to wear for a day of paintball, strapping on shoes is a no brainer. But what shoes are the best for the job? Well, it depends on the terrain you’ll be playing on. An old pair of sneakers will get the job done, but you may be slipping around on dirt if it’s slick enough. Boots will work well in most if not all environments. That being said, boots are heavy and can make your legs feel like jello attached to anchors after a couple of hours.
Aside from a paintball mask, which can be rented at most if not all paintball fields, all of the items in the need category should already be in your wardrobe. But if having the bare basics just is not enough for you, and you have some money to burn, there is plenty of gear to take what you wear paintballing to the next level.
Keep in mind some of these items can get up there in price. That’s why this category is what you will want to wear when you play paintball.
Paintball Jersey: Paintball jerseys offer more than just a cool design. Jerseys give players the flexibility to blend into the environment on a variety of different playfields. They are also made with moisture-wicking material that helps keep players dryer and cooler on hot days. On top of that, some offer added protection with reinforced material for your arms elbows and chest.
Tournament Pants: These aren’t just any old pants, these are specially engineered for the sport of paintball. Once you throw on a pair of these you won’t wear regular pants for paintball ever again. Why? Well to start many tournament pants offer added protection for your shins, knees, and thighs. Built-in padding will protect some of your more sensitive areas if you’re unfortunate enough to get tagged there. Tournament pants are also made for aggressive play so you can run and slide to your heart’s content.
Slider Pants: While these are designed for baseball players sliding on the clay they are perfect to wear when playing paintball. These are essentially compression pants with added padding to the thigh area. Slider pants are great at keeping everything tight and compact in case of an unintentional hit in the nether regions.
Neck Gaurd: Have you ever been hit in the throat? If the answer is no then count yourself lucky. Sometimes paintball masks don’t cover the neck adequately enough. A neck guard will protect one of your most vulnerable body parts from a hit to the Adam’s apple.
Tactical Gloves: When deciding what to wear for a day of paintball the hands oftentimes go ignored. That is of course until you take a direct hit to a finger and curse yourself for overlooking your precious phalanges. Luckily there are gloves with padding to protect your knuckles and fingers from falling victim to your ignorance.
- [Knuckle Protection to the MAX] - Reinforced Knuckle Molding to Maximize Protection During Operation
- [Tough To The Max] - Built With Double-Stitch Seams For Durability and Longevity Under Any Condition
- [Grip To The Max] - PU Leather Palm & Fingertips Enhance Grip And Work Flawlessly With Touchscreens
- [Airflow To The Max] - Padded Mesh And Rubber Aero Vents On The Back For Faster Heat Dissipation
- [No-Worry Lifetime Warranty] - Industry-Leading Protection Policy To Ensure You Are 100% Satisfied
Vests: A paintball vest will serve a few different purposes. Firstly, they offer extra storage for paintball pods and whatever else you need to take into battle. They can also provide an extra level of protection for your chest and abdomen depending on the thickness of the vest.
- LIGHTWEIGHT TACTICAL SPORT VEST - BUILT FOR PAINTBALL! Load up and take on the competition - Vest Can Haul OVER 500+ Rounds! Sport Vest Only** Add Pods, Tank, and Remote Coil to Get the Most Out of Your Vest!
- FASTER RELOADS! Elastic Pod Holders built with ripcords that EJECT your pods out fast! Vest holds (4) standard paintball pods to haul an extra 500+ paintballs into battle. When combined with 200 paintballs in a loader, you are packing over 750 rounds (pods / paintballs sold separately). Extra Storage Pockets - Two Chest Pockets/Pouches For: Phone, Wallet, Keys, Tools, Money, Etc.
- NO HARNESS NECESSARY! Haul it all in your vest! Durable scenario vest features a Tank Pouch Located on the back of the vest with secure velco closure to accommodate any size CO2 paintball tank and all HPA paintball tanks up to 90 cubic inches. Use a Remote Coil Tank Accessory to REMOVE the bulk weight of your tank OFF your marker and into your vest! (Tank / Remote Coil Sold Separately).
- MADDOG UPGRADE PAINTBALL ACCESSORIES FOR THE WIN! Vest doubles as an Extra Layer of Protection in the heat of a battle. Combine your Sport Vest with Maddog's industry standard paintball marker accessories to get the most out of your vest - Pods, Tanks, Remote Lines, etc. Entry Level - Tournament Pro, We've Got You COVERED!
- VEST ONLY - Upgrade Accessories Sold Separately.
Turf Shoes: Indoor arenas are usually laid with astroturf. With turf shoes, you can sprint and cut to cover without the worry about slipping on your way to victory.
Whether you’re new to paintball or a seasoned veteran, what you wear when playing paintball is important. The basic gear that can be found in most wardrobes and will keep you comfortable. As you dive deeper into paintball, opting for more advanced gear will add extra levels of protection and comfort, on top of that some extra storage. So now that you have absorbed all of this precious information you will be ready for your next paintball adventure. Not only will you know what you need to wear, but you will also know what you want to wear playing paintball.